[obol] Re: RFI Wrentit in Hood River Co.

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:05:11 -0800

Dave and Oregon Birders,

I'm sure it would be possible to do some fancy programming so that eBird
checklists containing invalidated sightings would appear WITH those
sightings to the reporting observer, but WITHOUT them to everyone else.
However, it may be that the time and effort (and dollars) required to write
such programming and put it into effect may not be considered worthwhile by
the eBird staff.

There is a problem in that many observers who use checklists consider them
to be the gospel truth, and do not realize that they may include invalidated
sightings. There may well be more use made of eBird checklists now than of
the maps, which you can only use to look at one species at a time. I
certainly use checklists a lot to give me an idea of what species to expect
when I visit a new area. (If you use bar-graph checklists, rather than
checklists for an individual date, those don't include invalidated records.)
However, if everyone understands that individual checklists MAY contain
invalidated sightings, and does not regard any individual checklist as
authoritative, the problem is much less. I would still prefer a system which
allows invalidated sightings to be seen only by eBird reviewers and by the
person(s) who submitted them, rather than being visible to everyone.

This has nothing to do with the eBird ALERTS, which are e-mail messages
about rare or wanted species. These most certainly should include unverified
and questionable sightings as well as confirmed ones, and I'm sure everyone
who uses these realizes that many of these reports are unverified.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx

From: acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:09:26 -0800
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: contopus@xxxxxxxxx

That's a fairly major issue.  It means you can't use the database as a
source for, say, a regional ornithology without cross-checking the map for
every species that has an unusual record.  Ugh.  Needs to be fixed.

Of course, anyone who uses the database can simply ignore any individual
list or report, but that limits the utility of the system.

.
.

Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

On Feb 18, 2015, at 9:05 AM, Wayne Weber wrote:

Jeff and Oregon Birders,

This report of a Wrentit at Lost Lake has apparently been invalidated by the
local eBird reviewer/editor, because it does not appear in eBird maps of the
distribution of this species.

One of the problems with using eBird data, which may not be understood by
everyone who uses eBird, is that invalidated records (i.e., those considered
to be erroneous or questionable by reviewers) are NOT marked as such on
checklists, and appear to be perfectly valid records. Invalidated records do
not appear on maps, and are not part of the main eBird database, but unless
they are withdrawn or deleted by the observer, these records will still
appear on checklists.  If you are looking at a checklist, and one or more
sightings appear to be questionable, you should double-check to make sure it
shows up on a map before accepting the sighting as valid.

The failure to label invalidated records on checklists, in my opinion, is
one of the biggest problems in using eBird data currently. I'm sure that the
eBird staff recognize this as a serious problem, and that they plan to fix
it, but I suspect that it will take a significant amount of computer
programming to rectify this problem.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx

eBird reviewer/editor for Metro Vancouver, BC