[obol] Re: RFI Wrentit in Hood River Co.

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:05:38 -0800

Jeff and Oregon Birders,

This report of a Wrentit at Lost Lake has apparently been invalidated by the
local eBird reviewer/editor, because it does not appear in eBird maps of the
distribution of this species.

One of the problems with using eBird data, which may not be understood by
everyone who uses eBird, is that invalidated records (i.e., those considered to
be erroneous or questionable by reviewers) are NOT marked as such on
checklists, and appear to be perfectly valid records. Invalidated records do
not appear on maps, and are not part of the main eBird database, but unless
they are withdrawn or deleted by the observer, these records will still appear
on checklists.  If you are looking at a checklist, and one or more sightings
appear to be questionable, you should double-check to make sure it shows up on
a map before accepting the sighting as valid.

The failure to label invalidated records on checklists, in my opinion, is one
of the biggest problems in using eBird data currently. I’m sure that the eBird
staff recognize this as a serious problem, and that they plan to fix it, but I
suspect that it will take a significant amount of computer programming to
rectify this problem.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx

eBird reviewer/editor for Metro Vancouver, BC