[obol] Re: RFI Wrentit in Hood River Co.

  • From: Mark Nikas <elepaio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:41:02 -0800

It has been my experience that records invalidated by the eBird reviewer
are excluded for most normal searches one does of eBird data.  If you bring
up a checklist for birds seen in Hood River county Wrentit is not on it.
If you search for Wrentit sightings in Hood River county none show up.  The
only way you would see this record is in the individual checklist the
birder entered.  It may show up in if you get daily rare bird alerts for a
specific site.  It would be visible if you were searching the records for
another species that was not flagged and brought up the individual
checklist for that species.  Unless you're really digging though such
records remain hidden away.

I'm guessing the eBird folks don't want to deal with the repercussions of
telling birders that their records don't pass muster. I know that reviewers
contact birders for more info about some sightings but I think many others
that are obviously erroneous are just flagged as erroneous and never come
up in normal database searches. They are quietly dismissed and nobody's
skills are questioned.  I get the national RBA daily alert from eBird and I
regularly see obvious bad records like a flock of Gray-crowned
Yellowthroats with a note such as "they are always at my feeders".  I doubt
the local reviewer would waste time asking for verification for such
sightings.  The record will remain for all the observer's private lists
though.  This seems like a good way to handle such reports.   Let the
individual count what they want but leave questionable records out of the
general database.

Mark Nikas