[obol] Re: Owen's Pipit pics

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:07:15 -0700

Bob et al~
I think the tertials from the other side of the bird overlay the nearside
tertials (i.e. the right tertials are on top of the left tertials).  Hence, we
are seeing the dark inner edge of the right tertials.
Also, I assume that Bob's reference to the unpatterned nape was alluding to the
possibility of a Pechora Pipit.  Not that he suggested otherwise, but it made
me do a little research in the subtle differences between the two.  Aside from
the field guides, it can be instructive to flip through Google images of each.
I think this is a juvenile bird as it has crisp, fresh plumage.  It lacks
frayed edges to the wing coverts and tertials and also lacks red in the throat.
Cheers,Russ NamitzMedford, OR