[obol] Re: id help needed! (bud break in the Willamette Valley)

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:15:03 -0700

Hi,  Joel -

You posed an interesting and important question,

"Obviously this creates a problem, if the calendars for migrant
wood-warblers and the trees that they depend on for insects continue to
diverge.The question is whether birds will be able to adapt fast enough,
through natural selection in favor of early migrants, to the rapid
changes that we're seeing in tree phenology."

I do not see this a a major problem for spring arrivals.  I suspect that
spring insect availability increases continuously from bud break on through
the breeding season.  So food availability may be higher now than in the
past.

There may instead be a problem for birders:  it is so much more satisfying
to watch warblers in a Big-leaf Maple at bud break than when the tree is
leafed out!

Possibly there could be a pinch at the other end, when leaves are turning
and dropping earlier, relative to the migrants' programmed departure times.

Wayne