[obol] Re: Owen's Pipit pics

  • From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:03:45 -0700

When we first saw the photos we looked through the Per Alstrom and Krister Mild
book Pipits and Wagtails and couldn’t turn it into anything but a RTPI.

I had experience with multiple Pechora Pipits many years ago during the Spring
of 1988 on Attu. They have a very different call note than Red-throated.

If anyone hears the bird, one should note that Pechora’s give a singular
monosyllabic note that can be heard on the Xeno-canto site at:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Anthus-gustavi

Red-throated give a drawn out wheezy “speeeee” note that is very different.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Anthus-cervinus

For more information on separating these two species there is an online article
by Nial Moores. It is quite long but if you are interested in learning more
about them then give it a read.

http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/Identification/ID_Notes/BK-ID-Pechora-Pipit.shtml

Shawneen Finnegan
Portland, OR