[obol] Nashville Warblers (was: more Eugene migrants)

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:15:38 -0700

Oregon birders,

As someone who does a lot of birding around Vancouver, BC and Bellingham,
WA, I can assure you that Nashville Warblers are not regular breeders
anywhere in the Puget Trough in Washington or southwestern BC.  They do
breed in small numbers around Hope, BC and between Newhalem and the Ross Dam
in WA, which are on the west side of the Cascades, but they are uncommon in
this area. Once one crosses over to the east side of the Cascades, they
become one of the commonest breeding birds, mostly in Douglas-fir forest
from about 2000 to 4000 or 5000 feet altitude, as far north as the Williams
Lake area of BC. Their breeding distribution does not seem to have changed
much in recent years.

Around Vancouver, Nashvilles are regular but rare migrants in both spring
and fall. Most records are of single birds, but I have on rare occasions
recorded 2 or 3 birds in a day. However, it does not surprise me to hear
that they are much commoner migrants around Eugene, considering that much of
their breeding range lies north of Eugene, and that they are very common
over much of that range.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx

From: jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 20:53:05 -0700
CC: thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx; obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

On Apr 20, 2014, at 3:38 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think I have ever seen 15 Nashvilles in one place in Lane County.
I'm not sure I have seen that many in one place anywhere, not even peak of
passage at Malheur.

--

Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

In a recent  conversation with Bellingham, WA birder, Clark Blake, he told
me that Nashville Warblers are now regular breeders near Bellingham, but
that they were formerly only scarce transients.  Perhaps the 15 seen in
Eugene is related to the species increasing its numbers to our north.

Jeff Gilligan