[obol] Swainson's Thrushes and Vaux's Swifts

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:26:38 -0700

I did some birding in the University of Oregon area this evening.  I walked
the perimeter of Washburn Park.  On the east side of the park, I heard a
single call from a Swainson's Thrush in the undergrowth.  Further along on
my walk, I was able to obtain a complete view of another bird that was very
clearly a Swainson's Thrush.  There were a couple of other places where I
could hear leaves rustling, but could not find the critter responsible for
the noise.

Almost 1700 Vaux's Swifts entered the chimney at Agate Hall. Two almost
made it, but were caught and eaten by a Cooper's Hawk.  The hawk caught a
swift trying to enter the chimney early on, and then went back for
seconds.  The first hawk attack caused the swifts to scatter and the hawk
was able to eat and get back to the chimney top before the remaining swifts
tried to enter it.

--
Barbara Combs   obie '70
Lane County, OR