[obol] Re: Nashville Warblers (was: more Eugene migrants)

  • From: "Pamela Johnston" <pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:08:44 -0700

After reading yesterday’s news of Nashville Warblers, their numbers, history
and locations, the conclusion I’m drawing from these collected records and
reminiscences is that Nashvilles migrate in flocks that mix in with other
species while feeding, but move on together, hitting certain buttes as they go
north. It makes me wonder how much they utilize the south edges of Ankeny Hill,
Mt Talbert, Mt Scott, the smaller buttes of east Portland and Gresham, Parrett
Mtn, or any part of the Salem, Eola, or Amity Hills. Looking for free-standing
buttes along the Willamette Valley on a topo map might turn up some new good
spots. A motivated person could go walk around the southern hillside
neighborhoods of West Salem, for example, where there are enough public streets
that access wouldn’t be difficult, and there’s tree cover. Some of these other
hills are a more rural and harder to cover due to the closed private land and
higher speed limits.

Yesterday I was birding my backyard and thinking about the general rule that
has brought me the best luck with warblers: go to an east-facing slope on a
reasonably bright morning (i.e., not raining), stand where you can see into the
newly-leafed-out bigleaf maples (timing!), and listen for chip notes. It was
working then- Townsend’s, Wilson’s, Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned, Wilson’s
being FOY.

Pamela Johnston