[obol] Re: Lincoln Co birding 4/19 -- Semi Plover early?

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:46:45 -0700

Dave's comment is certainly true for spring shorebirding.  My impression is
that it is extremely coastal, for one thing, with big movements right along
the beaches and nothing up the rivers.  Fall is quite different and even
Yaquina Bay gets a bird now and then !  And of course a lot of the good fall
shorebirding is inland at Fern Ridge, Summer Lake and so on.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

From:  Dave Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
Date:  Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:42 PM
To:  Dave Lauten <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc:  OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<deborah.holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] Re: Lincoln Co birding 4/19 -- Semi Plover early?

>>> Greetings all,

Dave Lauten is spot on in this case. By the date of the report in question
(19 April), we are at the front end of the prime window for not only
Semipalmated Plover, but all of the Arctic and sub-Arctic breeding
shorebirds that pass through Oregon as northbound migrants. I had a few Semi
Plovers in Clatsop Co. last Friday and was surprised to not find more than I
did.

Surely some will disagree with this opinion, but if your phenology for
migrant shorebirds is calibrated based on what you see inside Yaquina Bay,
it's not going to be very good. For all of its outward attractiveness for
shorebirds (good-looking mudflats), the shorebirding there is pathetic. I
have no explanation for why this is the case, but in recent years this
estuary is often devoid of waders even right in the middle of spring or fall
migration.

If I'm looking for shorebirds along the northern Oregon coast, I will drive
Clatsop Beach, go to Youngs Bay or Tillamook Bay. Even the tiny little
Necanicum estuary is better than Yaquina Bay most of the time. Sadly, if you
compare the 'best' Oregon estuaries to Humboldt Bay to the south or Willapa
and Grays Harbor in Washington, you will discover that these out of state
estuaries offer far better shorebirding and present a better picture of the
phenologies for migrant waders.

I am currently watching a Virginia Rail while taking a work break next to a
little wetland in NW. McMinnville.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR