[obol] Early Swainson's Thrush reports

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:13:35 -0700

Dave,

Thanks for your long and detailed discourse on early spring reports of
Swainson's Thrush--  delivered in your usual eloquent fashion. What you said
needed to be said. From my perspective in and around Vancouver, BC, I deal
with much the same problem. Every year, as the Vancouver regional editor for
eBird, I deal with numerous April reports of Swainson's Thrush, nearly all
of which are questionable. Most of these are probably misidentified Hermit
Thrushes. I get some April reports of SINGING Swainson's Thrushes, and I can
be quite certain that these are erroneous. Despite the fact that this is one
of the most distinctive of all bird songs, at least to me, some birders seem
to mistake other species for Swainson's Thrush. In my experience, and that
of nearly all other birders, Swainson's Thrushes (and other brown thrushes)
DO NOT sing on migration, and in fact not until about 10 days to 2 weeks
after they arrive on territory--  starting about May 20th or so.  For the
most part, the first Swainson's Thrushes that are reported give a series of
soft "whit" calls, or hop out briefly onto a forest trail in silence. Most
of them are probably overlooked because of their silence.

Nevertheless, we do get a few credible late April (but never early April)
reports of Swainson's Thrush in some years. I, like you, am one of those
birders who pays great attention to migration arrival and departure dates,
and I have religiously compiled tables of such dates for Vancouver since the
late 1960s. For Swainson's Thrush, our mean arrival date over 32 years is
May 6th in Greater Vancouver. However, for 9 years, the arrival date was in
April: arrival dates vary from April 16th to May 20th. Some of the April
arrival date records are by long-experienced and reliable observers that I
have no reason to question. Nonetheless, April arrival dates in Vancouver
are unusual for Swainson's Thrush, involving only a tiny vanguard of the
population (Joel Geier makes a good point), and I will continue to question
nearly all April records of the species.

Despite all this--  two days ago, on April 25th, I was birding along Shaw
Road, a forested road just south of Lake Samish in Skagit County, in
northwestern Washington. There were quite a few spring migrants about,
including 2 Hermit Thrushes. One of the birds I recorded was a Swainson's
Thrush, which gave a series of about 15 "whit" calls in the forest uphill
from Shaw Road. No, I did not see the bird--  searching through the dense
forest undergrowth would have been a futile effort--  but this is a call I
learned to identify more than 50 years ago, and I am as certain of this
identification as of any of the other birds I saw and heard that day.

Dave, you may have failed to find Swainson's Thrushes in April for 40 years
or more, but I predict that you will see or hear one, one of these years;
April Swainson's do occur occasionally, even in BC. It's easy to say "if I
haven't seem 'em in April, they don't occur in April", but "rarely" is not
the same as "never". To you and to anyone else who has to review
exceptionally early reports of Swainson's Thrush, my advice is:  be
critical, question these reports and request photos or other evidence, but
be willing to admit that a few of these reports are valid. And birders, if
you do report Swainson's in April, be prepared to be questioned and to
provide some details of your sighting!!

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx