[obol] Wasco Co day trip 4/26

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:39:07 -0400

Steve Valasek, Justin Rodecap and I explored Wasco Co yesterday.
We started at the lower end of Bakeoven Rd where we failed to find any
Sagebrush or Brewer's Sparrows, but we did have 3 Sage Thrashers. Our main
problem was the wind, we just couldn't hear well enough. The mammalian
highlight for the day was a Badger en route back to Maupin. We also saw 2
Loggerhead Shrikes, one a few miles south of Maupin on 197, the other one along
Bakeoven Rd.
Back uphill from Friend, we searched around Camp Solitaire (FFR27 and FR2720)
for White-headed Woodpecker, but only found a male Williamson's Sapsucker. We
had great looks at Purple (oaks) and Cassin's (firs) Finches within just a
couple of miles of each other. A Solitary Sandpiper was in a small pond near
the National Forest sign just uphill from the big gate on Badger Creek Rd. The
trees around the pond also had a singing Cassin's Vireo and calling Dusky
Flycatcher. A little bit lower, about 1/2mi downhill from the gate, we watched
an Acorn Woodpecker examine a cavity. Mountain Quail and Canyon Wren were
calling a few times in the distance. Just a little lower, almost back at the
fairgrounds, we found a Black-headed Grosbeak and a couple of Nashville
Warblers.
Just east of Pine Grove, the Tricolored Blackbirds continue along Walters Rd.
Several Rufous Hummingbirds and a single Calliope were at the Endersby Rd
feeder in Pine Grove.
Our last stop was Camas Prairie, but it was late in the day and activity had
ceased. Sandhill Cranes were hooting in the distance a couple of times.
Overall we felt that we had just been a week early. Activity is going to pick
up sharply within the next few days. Gray Flycatchers for example are usually
back May 1, but we didn't hear a single one.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR