[obol] Union County, OR : AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "AVITOURS@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 12:43:20 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -
Yesterday (4/26, 1:45 p.m.), while driving, I saw an  interesting shorebird
on the east side of HWY 82 across from the Alicel  Scrape.  I turned east
on Booth Lane and got the scope out.  The  shorebird in question was a
MARBLED GODWIT.  There were good numbers of  both YELLOWLEGS, BLACK-NECKED
STILTS
and AMERICAN AVOCETS.  I made a few  phone calls.  Then the shorebirds
startled and I noticed a flock of 50  Peeps and two Plovers flying.  The larger
Plover had black auxillaries and  the smaller other one had solid gray
underwings.  As the birds settled, the  Plovers landed about 75 meters away and
was able to get the scope on  them.  One of the Plovers was an obvious
BLACK-BELLIED, and after careful  study the other Plover was most definitely an
AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER.  I  took numerous photos and got some video.  The
best stills (mediocre at  best), can be viewed here:
The AMERICAN  GOLDEN-PLOVER showed an all brown gray back, darker cap,
white eye-line, and  long black primary extentions.  The wing tips surpassed
the
tail by a  goodly margin and had a large gap between the wing tips and the
ends of the  tertials.  This was a Union County bird for me and I am not
aware of any  other documented records from the county.  Susan & Mike Daughtery
 showed up a bit later and got to view all of the shorebirds.
Collectively,  we turned up an additional WILSON'S PHALAROPE, LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHER and
two  SOLITARY SANDPIPERS.  I returned around 6:00 p.m. with a better camera,
 only to witness the majority of the Shorebirds flying northward.  I was
able to once again pick out the BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and MARBLED GODWIT as
they  flew out of sight.  As a consolation prize I found a BLACK-CROWNED
NIGHT-HERON.  Additional photos and video are available.
Good  birding,
- Trent
The Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds
1707 5th  Street