[obol] Re: Detroit flats willow flycatcher, hammonds flycatcher, and macgillivrays warbler

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:21:36 -0700

************

I agree with Wayne. The winter before last I saw Hermit Thrushes on the
Brownsville and Yaquina Bay CBCs that looked strikingly different from any I'd
seen before. They had very warm buff at the upper center of their breast, on
the throat, maybe the cheeks? They looked warm and greenish, not cool and brown
on the sides and back. Anyone accustomed to close examination of winter Hermits
in Oregon would immediately see that they were different, so different... Then
there are the audial detections. I have mistaken a single Song Sparrow note for
a Swainson's Thrush weeks before mid-May. I know of other people who've been
tricked in similar ways.
     As for Willow Flycatcher, in my personal experience only one species is
later to arrive in nw Oregon: Common Nighthawk.    Lars