[obol] West Eugene birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:20:38 -0700

I took a quick look at the EWEB wetlands and Swallow Pond in SW Eugene this
evening.  All of the dowitchers have moved on, but about 50 Least Sandpipers
have showed up at EWEB, hanging with maybe 75 dunlin.  Had stunning views of
a pair of Ring-necked Ducks there.  A bird of which I have seen thousands,
but close up in good light in perfect plumage, a gorgeous bird.

Swallow numbers were impressive at both sites, mostly VGs, and about 50
swifts were over Swallow Pond.  It also had the only yellowlegs.

Of note for those who track such things were four extremely young Mallard
chicks at Swallow Pond.  They were swimming about but were very tiny,
certainly hatched in the last couple of days.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon