[obol] Coos Birds of Late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:14:08 -0700

Today (6/13/2015 I was out on the N. Spit of Coos Bay early, windy as could
be at 7AM. Been gusting 35 to 40mph in the PM all week. Out along the bay
I saw a flock of 20 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS.

Over at the old Weyco pond site I saw the following:

At least three GADWALL with broods (many more to come)
1 male NORTHERN PINTAIL (birds sometime linger into late June and July;
there are no breeding records in Coos)
1 male AMERICAN WIGEON (same as for pintail)
6- BUFFLEHEAD (a regular over-summering nonbreeder)
16- GREATER SCAUP (same as for bufflehead)
4- BLUE-WINGED TEAL (two pair- a regular late migrant; the only Coos
breeding records are from this site though)
several CINNAMON TEAL (one female on nest; they are now regular breeders at
this site)
1- male NORTHERN SHOVELER (possible breeder; they are not found breeding
every year)

Looks like no Wilson's Phalaropes breeding this year- I have not seen any
this spring there.

Good year for subadult BONAPARTE'S GULLS on the south coast. I saw 18 at
Bandon Marsh on Wednesday- all of which were in 1st winter plumage still.
Knute Andersson mentioned a lot of subadults in Port Orford this week also.
With the Bonies at Bandon Marsh was a black-headed small gull which I
assumes was an adult Bonie at the time. Upon looking through some gull
books I think it was likely an adult FRANKLIN'S GULL. Daniel Farrar had one
on Thursday in Douglas and Joe Metzler had one on Monday in Coos also. The
detail that swayed me was the large white tips on the end of the primaries,
much to large for a Bonie. Also the white eye crescents were really
prominent, even from long distance. The bird was far enough out that I
could not make out bill or leg color though. At the time I thought it
appeared larger than the Bonies also, but not by much.

Happy Birding all!
Tim R
Coos Bay