[obol] Re: Broadtail Hummers in Oregon

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robert O'Brien <baro@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:49:21 -0700

Hi Bob & All,

A couple of weeks ago a female Selasphorus sp. hummingbird that struck
me as very large and broad-tailed (relative to Rufous, similar in size
to Anna's) visited our feeder briefly.

I called it a Broad-tailed Hummingbird at the time (and posted this on
the mid-valley birding list) but it didn't come back for a second look.
So the more I've thought about it since, the more I'm left wondering
about the accuracy of my brief impressions.

Whether to call this a "record" is up to whoever keeps such lists. I
probably won't include this on my personal "list of birds that I would
count on my county list if I kept a county list." I think it was
probably a Broad-tailed Hummingbird, but who knows for sure ...

Happy birding,
Joel

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 18:32:14 -0700
Subject: [obol] Broadtail Hummers in Oregon.
From: "Robert O'Brien" <baro@xxxxxxx>

Well, I was't going to mention this, but.
A neighbor who has lived here 40+ years has always kept a hb feeder.
she enjoys birds but is not a birder.
Talkimg to her a few days ago as we watched the hoards at our feeder
She mentioned that a few years ago she had a hummer that loudly
Buzzed everywhere it went. She historically had (as we did)
only rufous but for 5.years or so also annas. The buzzer was
Around a week or so.
Soooo, how many records of bt hummer west pf cascades?
Bob obrien carver or