[obol] Re: Broadtail Hummers in Oregon.

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx" <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 18:02:23 -0700

This is very significant news. I don't think there is previous evidence at this
level that they breed in the Warners. There have been reports at Hart Mtn,
Steens and strays elsewhere, but breeding evidence is very thin.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 12, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do not want to steal any of Jim Kopitzke's "thunder" as he will write about
the trip, and this should not be taken that way. He and I took a four day
trip into Lake County, just got back.

Following Tim Rodenkirk's lead, we camped high up off the road near the
Warner Peak ski area, at 6500-7000' in a beautiful old growth mixed conifer
forest with openings dominated by two species of Ribes shrubs and other
shrubs on the ground. First bird we encountered on the way up in one of
those openings was BROAD-TAILED HUMMINGBIRD - when it flies near you its loud
trill is totally unmistakable - and as Jeff Harding once said to me after we
saw from arm's length away with sound- Any Questions? Later, Jim walked to
another opening and heard another Broadtail. In the morning we heard and saw
one doing a display dive 200 yards up from where we saw the one the night
before. Then later at the original spot another one.

We were apparently above Tim's spot, up a dirt road to the right. I don't
keep up with bird distribution news, but, and, I feel this could be a little
bit significant/broadtails seemed common in the high elevation openings in
the Warner Mountains.

Roy Gerig, Salem OR