[obol] Coos Birds of Late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 16:50:18 -0700

We broke a record temp in Coos Bay yesterday (we hit 77) and will break it
again today, with east winds persisting.  The old high was 72, and I know
officially at the airport it was at least 86F, here at the house, in the
shade it is currently 91F.  I was out in the north spit this afternoon for
about an hour and saw shorebird flocks moving, but not a real big push yet.
Nothing out of the ordinary, even with the howling east winds- a bit early
for getting something real unusual passerine-wise out of the winds.  Many
Carpenter Ant's everywhere today also, including in the wrack line at the
beach.  Also, Joe Metzler reports large numbers of VAUX'S SWIFTS and
AMERICAN PIPITS moving north along the beach.

Last night I camped out up at Mt. Bolivar in SE Coos.  It was real birdy up
there this morning but I missed my target species, Calliope Hummer, which
seems to be a regular migrant up there.  I bet I was just a day or two
early.  They have the narrowest window of any migrant in the county, about
two weeks- the last week of April and first week of May.  I did see several
other first of the year for Coos for me including:

DUSKY FLYCATCHER (a couple)
TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES (a few)
PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER (many)
MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLERS (abundant)
HOUSE WREN (one)
WESTERN TANAGER (several)
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK (several)

Hermit Thrushes were singing, no sign of any Swainson's yet, although I
hardly ever get them up high in Eden Valley and it was hot by the time I
got down to Powers.  About 10 days to early for Willow Flys which are also
a common breeder up there.

I had Hammond's and Dusky Flycatcher calling nearby each oither- one in a
clearcut and the other across the road in a dense 100+ yr. old Doug-fir
stand.

I suspect the shorebird numbers will rapidly increase once the east winds
die down, so later in the week is looking good.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay