[oagitm] Re: WIFI

  • From: "Verharst, Greg" <greg.verharst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:25:44 +0000

These are the requirements that Justice Agencies accessing CJI must adhere to
as state in the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy.

1. Perform validation testing to ensure rogue APs (Access Points) do not exist
in the 802.11 Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) and to fully understand the
wireless network security posture.

2. Maintain a complete inventory of all Access Points (APs) and 802.11 wireless
devices.

3. Place APs in secured areas to prevent unauthorized physical access and user
manipulation.

4. Test AP range boundaries to determine the precise extent of the wireless
coverage and design the AP wireless coverage to limit the coverage area to only
what is needed for operational purposes.

5. Enable user authentication and encryption mechanisms for the management
interface of the AP.

6. Ensure that all APs have strong administrative passwords and ensure that all
passwords are changed in accordance with Section 5.6.2.1.

7. Ensure the reset function on APs is used only when needed and is only
invoked by authorized personnel. Restore the APs to the latest security
settings, when the reset functions are used, to ensure the factory default
settings are not utilized.

8. Change the default service set identifier (SSID) in the APs. Disable the
broadcast SSID feature so that the client SSID must match that of the AP.
Validate that the SSID character string does not contain any agency
identifiable information (division, department, street, etc.) or services.

9. Enable all security features of the wireless product, including the
cryptographic authentication, firewall, and other privacy features.

10. Ensure that encryption key sizes are at least 128-bits and the default
shared keys are replaced by unique keys.

11. Ensure that the ad hoc mode has been disabled unless the environment is
such that the risk has been assessed and is tolerable. Note: some products do
not allow disabling this feature; use with caution or use different vendor.

12. Disable all nonessential management protocols on the APs and disable
hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP) when not needed or protect HTTP access with
authentication and encryption.

13. Enable logging (if supported) and review the logs on a recurring basis per
local policy. At a minimum logs shall be reviewed monthly.

14. Segregate, virtually (e.g. virtual local area network (VLAN) and ACLs) or
physically (e.g. firewalls), the wireless network from the operational wired
infrastructure. Limit access between wireless networks and the wired network to
only operational needs.

15. When disposing of access points that will no longer be used by the agency,
clear access point configuration to prevent disclosure of network
configuration, keys, passwords, etc.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

[OR_-_State_Police_Badge]

Greg Verharst

CJIS Information Security Officer, Oregon State Police

Greg.Verharst@xxxxxxxxxxx

Desk: (503) 934-2335 - THIS IS A NEW NUMBER - PLEASE NOTE!!!

Fax:    (503) 378-2121 - THIS IS A NEW NUMBER - PLEASE NOTE!!!

OSP Helpdesk: (503) 934-0199