Re: [nvda-translations] is it possible to define decimal comma instead of point?

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 21:45:31 +1000

On 5/03/2016 1:06 AM, ChrisLeo wrote:

In symbols.dic for SK language on line 21 I read:
"decimal point        none    always    # desatinná čiarka".
this means the decimal point is not pronounced?
No. While there is no pronunciation defined, the "always" means that we pass the raw symbol to the synth in all cases. The reason we do it this way is that synths know how to process numbers if you provide the raw symbol. For example, in English, 1.10 must be pronounced "1 point 1 0", not "1 point 10", which is what you would get if you defined the pronunciation and didn't let the synth handle it. There are very few cases where we do this, but decimal point is one of them.

Of course, this relies on the synth correctly supporting the decimal point for your language. If it doesn't, this obviously isn't going to work properly.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Executive Director, NV Access Limited