[USS Vanguard] Re: [gf_co] JM Opinions

  • From: Alex Bauer <alexstrpg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:44:29 -0800 (PST)

I agree - I haven't found out what the heck the Vanguard is doing in the
mission and frankly, where are all the ships going? Was it just one meeting
regarding "we've been infiltrated" and now what? We go back to what we were
doing?

Alexa
"andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All:

The following is an email I plan to send to Martin Burton, who heads up Gamma
Fleet. It is in response to opinions he's asked of us concerning the current
joint mission.

Of course, I am only speaking for myself here, but since in a way I represent
the Vanguard at large, I'd like your opinions on whether what I've written is
inaccurate, unnecessary, or unnecessarily critical.

Thanks for your time.

Andy
andywoho@xxxxxxxxx
andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Message follows:]
Martin,

While you've done an admirable job pulling everyone in who was interested in
the joint mission, and while I've enjoyed seeing my fellow fleet colleagues "in
action," I am at this point nearly hopelessly lost amidst the confusion, lack
of communications, conflicted posts and low (or no) response to some of my
posts (and that of the players on the Vanguard).

I know this was caused by a few reasons, not the least of which seems to be an
apparent email loss as posts traveled through the Yahoo! Groups system.

Where my confusion originates--and, granted, I may be alone on this--are the
number of players who are playing multiple roles on different sims, the clear
lack of direction of what I (or the sim-ship) am supposed to be doing, and
where all this is headed.

I appreciate a mystery and certainly I've conducted missions myself where I
leave the players in the dark purposefully for suspense, surprises, etc.
(although I'm now giving serious reconsideration to that method), but unless I
missed a crucial post, unless I've misunderstood the role that Vanguard was
obligated to play, I don't see where this is headed and I am not at all clear
on what our goals should be.

Furthermore, there have been a vast number of email posts that, quite honestly,
should have waited until the joint mission was concluded as they had no direct
bearing (unless this, too, is a part of the suspense and shock) on the
storyline at hand. I am thinking of all the posts having to do with pregnancies
and births and what-have-you. These were storylines that originated on the
players' primary ships and should have been carried through on the players' own
ships in their own course. To me, they were every bit as distracting as the OoC
posts were to some others. Maybe I should have read more carefully, but my
frustration with those posts (aside from simply the vast number of them) didn't
even mention the joint mission!

Please don't be deflated by this email. Again, I've enjoyed the correspondence
that we've had, I've admired your ability to handle multiple players and
multiple sims, and I like the premise behind this joint mission.

Even your email soliciting opinions now as opposed to after the affair
demonstrates a very commendable attitude toward the players involved.

However, at this point, I'm mired and don't know where to turn. Perhaps a bit
of pruning on the different branches off the main storyline trunk would be in
order...?

As always, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Again, I
don't mean to sound harsh, overly sensitive or critical, and I apologize if I
do. Overall, I've enjoyed the experience, but I think some of the shortcomings
I mentioned above are preventing this from becoming a GREAT joint mission.

Best regards,

Andy Ho
"Capt. Santos, USS Vanguard"

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now