[ncolug] Re: /etc/shadow !! in password file

  • From: Mike <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:44:51 -0400

On 06/20/2013 01:27 PM, M. Knisely wrote:
The basics is that a person deleted a bunch of service accounts on a VMware ESX machine. I need to recreate these service accounts. The original service accounts have in the /etc/shadow line for the user "!!" without the quotes in the password section of that user's line.

After some help from Nosbig, we found that this is the standard value of a created account that has never had a password on any RedHat or derivative there of. On the Debian based machines I was using as my test, the default for them is just a simple "!" and not the double like RedHat does.

So, what I believe I need to do to re-create these accounts is this:

adduser -d / -s /sbin/nologin -r -u 99 nobody

So, this is going to create a user called nobody with a home of root and a shell of /sbin/nologin. Since the UID I need for this user falls below 500, I have to use the -r and then I can tell it to use the original UID of 99 using the -u command.

I'm testing this in the lab now and will post back the results.

Mike K.

I hope the user "nobody" is just an example. The default, standard, nobody user is uid:gid 65534. There is a good reason for this and to deviate would be ill advised. The method I showed you will work, I did it here.

Mike

Subject field.