[ncolug] Re: /etc/shadow !! in password file

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:39:19 -0400

I hear what you are all saying, but you can't backup what was there
yesterday, and the vast majority of the time when a failure occurs it will
be faster to just rebuild as restoring from the backup would start with a
rebuild anyway.

We're talking a VMware hypervisor install.... not anything like building
KVM out on a Linux install.

Also with the restore process for VMware, I would have had to place this
host in maintenance mode.  Since this client does not have the resources
for a full N+1 setup, some of his guests would have experienced an outage.
 Instead of having downtime, I simply re-created the accounts. Zero
business interruption.

Mike K.