[ncolug] Re: /etc/shadow !! in password file

  • From: Mike <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:36:32 -0400

On 06/20/2013 10:49 AM, M. Knisely wrote:
I know that the ! can mean that the password field is blank or disabled... what I need to do is to use the passwd command to get it to write a !! in the password field of /etc/shadow.

Any suggestions?

Mike K.

PS:  Yes, I have googled it... extensively.
PPS: Yes, I know I can, as root, edit /etc/shadow and do it manually. Trust me when I say that there are reasons I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to.
I don't think you'll ever get passwd to do that. It was never meant to write specific values to the pw field other than to lock it. Can you give more specifics as to why/what you are trying to achieve? Using echo as Ed posted would work but, you would need to tweak it quite a bit. I'd say without directly editing the file awk, sed, or even perl are going to be your best best.

Mike

Subject field.