[muglo] Re: ubuntu

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:56:36 -0500

> > Ubuntu is a slightly different kettle of fish (where did that saying
> > come from?). Its philosophy is to be made up of entirely "free"
> > software (i.e. GPL or LGPL or some other compatible licence) and only
> > allow the odd absolutely necessary bit of non-100% free software in
> > (drivers for Nvidia video cards, etc.). I don't entirely agree with
> > this since it does mean that you have to do a little work to get
> > things like MP3 players to work (not much on i86 (is that what you
> > call Microtel?) boxes though).
>
> Correct, Eric, i86. And I have no idea how to install downloaded app
> bundles. Or even how to change an rc file. Lindows does absolutely
> everything for you, as does the Mac Unix Fink Commander. As simple as
> adding apps with Windows or Mac.

It might be worth learing a little with respect to the CLUI and
file/user permissions (it's a long, but satisfying slog) since you
seem to like experimenting with *nix as well ;).

Ubuntu is quite easy to set up, maintain and add/subtract apps to/from
using the Synaptic interface. If you find apps that you'd like that
are newer than what are provided in the 'universe' or 'multiverse'
then you can (usually) compile from source quite easily following the
app's instructions (I recently built BlueFish 1.0 from source for
Ubuntu after upgrading the appropriate libraries... BlueFish 0.13 was
all that was available in Fink for OS X and in Ubuntu's repositories).

PS an interesting HTML/css editing app is called amaya. I played
around with it in OS X (in x windows.app) and found it quite
interesting -- it's not mature yet but it looks like it could easily
whoop Mozilla Composer's arse.

> > PS If you want any extra software, there's lots of it in the universe
> > and multiverse repositories (Synaptic) or you can compile from source.
>
> > One other thought: There's a "live" CD for Ubuntu which allows you to
> > "test drive" the OS before you install (free download from
> > www.ubuntu.com as well).
>
> Thanks, I'm keeping your tips. I've ordered both the MacPower CD and
> the i86 CD --hoping the "live" CD is included --hoping they are still
> shipping CDs.    :)

I don't expect they'll ship the live CDs since they're still a work in
progress. It's easy to d/l the .iso files from Ubuntu (unless you have
a dial-up connection ;) anyway and burn them to disk (I presume that
you have a CD burner in your collection of hardware). OS X will burn
.iso using Disk Utility and cdrecord can do so in GNU/Linux.

Eric.