[muglo] Re: Fwd: Re: Thunderbird

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 01:54:35 -0500

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:02:53 -0800, Bill West <billwest> wrote:

> >> Yes! Evolution is a beauty. But usually shareware.
> >
> > Hmm. My Evolution is no cost (<http://www.ubuntu.com>).
>
> Ohmygosh, I don't know what ubuntu is. I have Lindows as sole OS on a
> Microtel box. Maybe I should ask for a CD and see what fine ubuntu is?
>    :)
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The only Linux I know even the
> slightest thing about is Lindows running on the Microtel, Unix basic
> apps and gimp on my Mac OSX Unix. But I like the idea of open source
> very, very  much.      :)
>
> The Microtel HD, screen, audio and 56K dial up modem internet
> connection --I have here, all work with Lindows.

Well, since you've got Lindows I'm not so sure I'd switch from it
(unless they start gouging you money for support ;-). From what I
understand Lindows is quite a robust system and the distributer
manages to keep things rolling along (of course, you do have to pay
for the privilege).

Ubuntu is a slightly different kettle of fish (where did that saying
come from?). Its philosophy is to be made up of entirely "free"
software (i.e. GPL or LGPL or some other compatible licence) and only
allow the odd absolutely necessary bit of non-100% free software in
(drivers for Nvidia video cards, etc.). I don't entirely agree with
this since it does mean that you have to do a little work to get
things like MP3 players to work (not much on i86 (is that what you
call Microtel?) boxes though).

It seems like Ubuntu is catching on in the Linux community since it is
quite easy to use and works (reasonably well given that it's free
($$$)) "out of the box". They (Canonical) also plan to release a
"stable" release every six months.

FYI It's a "Debian" derivative -- Debian is the super project but the
drawback to it is that its "stable" releases are very infrequent and
security updates only really come out for the stable releases.

On Mac hardware, there's another popular Linux that goes by the name
of YellowDogLinux, a Fedora derivative (formerly known as the personal
version of Red Hat Linux). It's got the advantage that Terrasoft (its
creator) is expert at supporting PPC.

Anyway, if you have the room or an extra HD, check out Ubuntu. It's a
free download and IT COMES ON ONE CD! (suggestion: have a high-speed
connection to the web or at least three or four hours to devote to
dial-up if you plan to download bug fixes/security patches
immediately... it's advised since if you don't set up immediately
you'll have to do a bit of leg work to set up internet access later
on).

PS If you want any extra software, there's lots of it in the universe
and multiverse repositories (Synaptic) or you can compile from source.

Now it's really time for bed.

Eric.