[muglo] Re: collage

  • From: Bob Steer <bsteer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:34:36 -0500

Photoshop Elements is more an entry level program for photo editing.
Photoshop CS4 (which is the latest version of Photoshop) is the gold
standard of photo editing. This program is extremely complex and
capable of doing most anything related to photo editing. It utilizes
layers to make alot of your photo editing which will allow you to go
back and undo things if you don't like the effect
Photoshop Elements doesn't have alot of the layering effects of
Photoshop but is a great place to start if you are just beginning in
the photo editing arena. The price is much cheaper (~ $150) compared
to Photoshop CS4 (close to $1000)

If you are considering getting into photo editing then I would highly
recommend Adobe Lightroom 2 which is a program allowing you to
catalogue your images as well as make adjustments to your images. You
can work on RAW images as well as JPEG and Tiff which is a great
advantage and all the adjustments you make are non-destructive which
means you are not altering the original file. You can easily print
your image directly from Lightroom as well. If you also have PS
Elements or PS you can easily export your image into it and make
adjustments then bring it back into Lightroom to print or send to the
web.

Mac has a program called Aperture which is similar to Lightroom
although changes made to images using Aperture do effect the original
image hence is more destructive.

I do alot of photo editing and have both CS4 and Lightroom 2. I find
myself doing 90% of my work in Lightroom and the remainder in Photoshop

I  hope this helps answer your question

Bob