[muglo] Re: Staying connected?

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:19:23 -0400

On 24/04/06, Ilbert Walker <ilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You were lucky , Eric
>
> I also got scammed into a years contract with Bell Sympatico at a
> slight saving ($60)
>
> Then when I got fed up with their appalling service and tried to
> cancel early - I was presented with a $125 early cancellation fee !

That's the idea behind a year long contract ;-). You receive a
discount and they get a guaranteed customer for a defined period.

> I waited out my time - and then  still had a traumatic deconnection
> experience with Bell - they are just one below R ogers in my
> estimation - and that ain't high ! :(
>
> I believe the Winfields had an equally negative suffering at the
> hands of Bell - but which produced the very creative name of
> Symcrapico !  How very appropriate!

I do refer to them as Symcrapico because of past experiences with Bell
HSE and Bell phone service but I have to admit that my recent dealings
with them have all been quite good. Their non-discounted rates aren't
exactly competitive ($44/mo is highway robbery compared to other ADSL
services) but when they think you'll leave they'll offer you something
better, and, as I discovered, something _much_ better than what I
could've got from a smaller outfit.

Plus, there's one thing that Bell has that no one else does to my
knowledge (Rogers might) and that's 10 hours free dial-up/mo
_anywhere_ in Ontario.... this means I can go anywhere in Ontario,
plug in my laptop, dial 310-SURF and find out what the local access
number is for Sympatico dialup.

Maybe they've flagged my name as a trouble-maker but whenever I call I
get fairly rapid resolution to my problems.

That said, I'm sure YMMV. ADSL is finnicky. If you're not in the right
location, you'll end up having problems with service (and, there's
little that you or the ADSL provider will be able to do about it
(without someone spending $$$ on network upgrades)).

The best solution I've found with the larger companies is to be all
sugar and nice. They're used to dealing with lots of customers and
don't give a darn if you're mad -- they know how to handle it and know
that they have the right to hang up. But, if you're nice to them,
they're more than happy to reciprocate -- though, they do get a little
nervous when I ask for managers if I'm not happy with the resolution
to my problem and I still haven't lost my cool (they're not allowed to
hang up on you if you're calm <evil laugh>) ;-).

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/