[muglo] Re: Mac Small Business/Contractor Applications

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:05:10 -0500

On Dec 19, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Theresa Roth wrote:

> The difficulty I have is that the cell formats do not transfer if I
> copy and paste onto a new sheet within a workbook. IIt used to do this
> when I had the G4 but now I have to manually go in and re-program the
> formats into the cells.

Try using Command-Shift -Copy (or oa-Shift-C for us older timers)
over the range of cells with the formatting and then use Command -
Shift -Paste (oa-Shift-P) in the other worksheet.  This actually
works quite well in word processing where placing your insert cursor
in one paragraph and invoking the copy format command (oa-Shit-C) you
can then highlight another paragraph and paste (oa-Shift-P) the
formatting there.  This is really useful for Word which wants to do
stuff for you whether you want it to or not or for those really
stibborn paragraphs where you just can't seem to get the same
formatting you have in another praragraph.

> Also, there are limitations to what I can
> create using my own skill and knowledge. I use several files to store
> information but need to do each one individually.
>
> I'm considering obtaining a new program with ready-made invoice,
> record, time-sheet etc  templates where information is correlated
> within several documents/files rather than me having to go into each
> one to add information individually to the fields/cells. I currently
> hold 30 contracts. I am not incorporated so reporting is simply for
> planning and income tax purposes.

This sounds like a job for FileMaker Pro or perhaps Bento.  The
latter I haven't really explored so I'm not sure if it would fir the
bill.  I know FMP will do it but requires a certain level of skill.
You would need at least version 7 to run on OSX anything older is Mac
OS 9 and running in classic can be tricky.  I would be willing to
assist in FMP.  Used older FMP program disks are available on eBay
but the registration codes will likely have been used for upgrades.
I still use FMP 7 and it is currently in version 9 with version 10 on
its way I think.  FMP 7 is compatible with both 8 and 9 except for
some new features in the later two.

> Can someone provide me feedback on what program[s] you use for small
> business/contractor purposes or what you might suggest I try?

It might be possible to set up something in Appleworks 6 that would
do what you need as well.  Again I would be willing to help there.
It all depends on what and how much you are trying to track.  I would
need a good understanding in order to develop something in either FMP
or AW.  With the holiday season I will have lots of time and this
sounds oddly like fun!

> G3 [slow]
> 10.3.9 [slow]
>
> Now, if I could only afford to upgrade my computer as well!!!

Sometimes all that faster machines allow you to do is make mistakes
quicker ;)

Martin