[muglo] Re: 7100 problems

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:29:22 -0500

As per the other e-mail, don't bother with OS 9 on such a slow PPC. Your
best bet is to run OS 8.1, or, if you REALLY need 8.6 to run software
install 8.6 (it may actually run a teeny bit faster than 8.1 and with
greater stability but it comes with a RAM cost (24 MB minimum vs. 8 MB
minimum used).

BTW Your problems sound like they could be PRAM related. (even though I
recently went on a tirade about the futility of resetting PRAM on another
list) I will suggest you reset your PRAM. I think the command is
command-option-P-R but I can't remember when to do it.

A far more elegant & also free PRAM reset is TechTool Lite 3.0.2 (OS 9.2.2
support, requires OS 8.1)
<http://www.micromat.com/>

A second thought: you swapped in a "known good HD" but do you know whether
or not the drivers on both HDs are "good" for a 7100/80? Have you tried
reformatting the original drive with an OS 8.1 boot disk/CD & installing OS
8.1 drivers (I didn't get that impression from your first e-mail)? Depending
on disk size (if it's over 1 GB) you'll want to make sure you format HFS+.

Third thought: were you running OS 8.0 or 8.1? The ONLY OSes you should be
running are 8.1, 8.6, 9.0.4, 9.1, 9.2.1, 9.2.2. You can run 8.5.1 if you
have software that you need that breaks under 8.6 but it's not advised. The
upgrades 8.0->8.1, 8.5->8.5.1/8.6, 9.0.x->9.0.4/9.1/9.2.1/9.2.2,
9.2.0->9.2.1/9.2.2 are all free downloads from Apple.

8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.0.1-9.0.3 are all NO GOs. They are the unstable bastard
children that families like to commit to asylums (to avoid embarrassment
when the Joneses come over).

Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>