[muglo] Re: 7100 problems

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:05:40 -0500

Well, I guess OS 9 is a matter of opinion here, bc I think a minimal
install of just a basic system is faster than OS8.1, even on a
7100/80.
However, it looks like 9 doesnt want to work on this particular
machine. As I said, it installs fine, but then on restart the system
gets a finder error and asks to be restarted w extensions off, and
then on this restart, it fails to recognize the hard drive. Very very
frustrating, and has been extremely time consuming using the 7100's
2x CDROM.

Anyway, last night I had a thought. This is a 7100AV, with that nubus
apple video card in it.... maybe that is where the conflict is... I
know yrs ago I had a quadra 700 with a radius video card that couldnt
run on OS 8 (9 wasnt around then, but I'd bet similar problems).
So... thing is, I can't pull the card, bc I don;t have the monitor
adapter (and the 7100 had that stupid funky monitor port on it). So I
cant even test my theory.

But, OS8 seemed to run ok. At least it didnt crash after I finally
got it installed . And all my installation problems may have been
particular to items I was asking to be installed.... when I decided
just to install the core system, it worked fine. I will update to
8.1, but my disk is only 8.0
I'd really like to run 9.1 though.
Anyone have a 7100 monitor adapter?

Also, one weird thing, I can't see any VRAM slots on this 7100
board.... is that an AV model thing? (hope not, then I'm stuck with
the card)

I will try the pram reset thing too....

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>