[modeleng] Re: steam car (OT)

  • From: "Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow" <cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:34:39 -0600

I may be in the minority here, but I don't see hydrogen as a viable
replacement for hydrocarbons, ecologically speaking.  On earth, hydrogen is
not readily available in a "pure" state useable for fuel, but must first be
extracted from some compound or other -- often natural gas (a hydrocarbon).
Extracting hydrogen from water is possible, but requires electricity which
must be generated somehow -- practically speaking by burning hydrocarbons or
with nuclear powerplants.  Most large sites for hydroelectric power
generation have already been taken; those that are left would receive
tremendous resistance from conservationists.  Adding windmills is heavily
resisted -- think Walter Cronkite and Ted Kennedy and the ocean off Cape Cod
and their view thereof.  Storage and transportation of hydrogen is
difficult -- as a gas it seeps through most container materials and
maintaining it in a liquified state is complex, requiring heavy equipment.
So what do I think the long term solution is?  Probably hydrocarbon/electric
vehicles, maybe with the electricity generated in part by nuclear
powerplants -- in spite of the public's current reluctance.  Charles