[modeleng] Re: Winsons - a different story

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:01:09 -0000

Hi Garry,

> dont think anyone said these cannot be made to run,

Ooooh - but they have. A very few have even said they should not be allowed
to run!

> they will not run using only the bits supplied by the company.

Agreed

>   I must be one of
> the few who had lots of problems with both the company and loco but yet
has
> bought a second kit.

It never fails to amaze me how many people curse these kits (for very valid
reasons) and then order another! Says something about human nature I guess -
but I'm not sure what.

 > I have to admit I would never pay the full price to them
> again but this was an offer to good to refuse.

Paying by credit card is highly advisable. I am told that some of those who
were paying Winsons by credit card when they went bust got their money back
and, in the confusion of that time, were not asked, and didn't, return the
goods!

> I have spoken to two owners of the Black 5 who
> have tried to steam their engines but have a large steaming problem,
either
> will not steam or loses pressure very quickly and will not draw the fire
> through again.

The engines on which the kits were based  certainly don't have a problem in
this respect - even when I drive them. I'm not familiar with the kit Black
5's but I would start by looking at the air flow paths through the ashpan
and grate and then check the dimensions of the blast pipe and petticoat
against Martin Evan's data.

 I know this could have been a problem on this 4500 as for some
> strange reason the fire bars supplied if all fitted had less than a 1/16"
gap
> between them!  Common sense told me that I had to use half of these and
then minus
> one to give a good air flow.

Yes, I think all these engines should steam if the entire flowpath of
air/gases is examined and sorted where necessary. The basic designs are
O.K.- it's the bits and pieces that let them down.

 > If you want I could send you some photos.

Hmmm....yes please. I'm at bpduo53@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers,

Barrie