[modeleng] Re: Winsons - a different story

  • From: Garry60030@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:39:49 EST

Hello Barrie, its nice to know of another Winson/Modelworks loco running.  I
dont think anyone said these cannot be made to run, what they, and I say, is
they will not run using only the bits supplied by the company.  My own A4 loco
had a lot of modifications but runs reasonably well at the moment although
there is a problem keeping steam for long periods although it ran non stop for
3/4 mile with 4 adults on board.  I am experimenting with it again this weekend
with the draughting arrangement and will see what happens.  I must be one of
the few who had lots of problems with both the company and loco but yet has
bought a second kit.  I have to admit I would never pay the full price to them
again but this was an offer to good to refuse.  I aquired it late in January
this year knowing what problems could occur and was prepared to work at it.
The
chassis (after lots of mods etc) is ready to be tested on air next week and I
hope the boiler will be hydraulically tested next month. I am hoping to have
it running on our portable track this summer but am I now tempting fate?
For your record I have seen an A3, 9F, 5"4500 and your Brit running along
with my A4.  I have read about a Baldwin working as well.  On the larger scale
am led to believe there were about 13 plus mine of the 7 1/4" 4500's sold and
only one of these is a runner.  I have spoken to two owners of the Black 5 who
have tried to steam their engines but have a large steaming problem, either
will not steam or loses pressure very quickly and will not draw the fire
through again.  I know this could have been a problem on this 4500 as for some
strange reason the fire bars supplied if all fitted had less than a 1/16" gap
between them!  Common sense told me that I had to use half of these and then
minus
one to give a good air flow.  I am afraid Modelworks/Winson might have control
models but they dont seen to steam them which would highlight this problem,
they could be okay on air but not steam.
If you want I could send you some photos.
Garry