[modeleng] Re: Valve Timing on simplex

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:17:29 +0100

Hi,
Sorry I always seem to run behind on the messages. But since you did not
have much of a reaction, and setting the valves does take some time, the
following might still be useful. It has been some time since I played with
the adjustments of the valves on my simplex so from memory and what I can
see.

1 Where should the return crank be set in relation to crank pin?

The eye of the return crank runs before the crank in forward direction.
Difficult? Not really looking at the left hand side of the engine this
means. Revolve the wheel so the main crank is in the down position. He
return crank points to the rear of the engine at an angle of about 25 deg. (
roughly by eye )
Since you are already at the point of adjusting the valves it is already set
which side of the locomotive leads. But on mine it is the right hand side.
Mind you this has nothing to do with the setting of the valves. For this
both sides are looked at as independent engines.

2 What is the procedure for setting the valves?

- first step is to set things with everything in neutral.
Set the reversing lever in neutral. Have a look at the lifting arm and the
radius rod they shouldl form one line. He centre of the die block collides
with the centre of the expansion links.
Set the valve central over the ports. Now roll the engine forward and see
what's happening. There will be movement, there always is in neutral as the
combination lever is playing his part, central this movement over the ports
by adjusting the position of the valve. Now roll the engine back and see if
the movement stays the same, or more specific in the same position. Adjust
the position of the return crank and play again with the setting of the
valves until you are satisfied. Tip don't use a setting screw with a point
use a flat tipped one. Saves you damaging the valve rod and making dents all
over the place.
Also have a look at the movement of expansion links whilst rolling the
engine. Notice they should tip over at an angle centralised over vertical.
This is where I ran into trouble as on my engine the length of the eccentric
rod did not math the drawing ( or the other way round? )  In the end I
solved the problem of finding the right size by making up an adjustable
eccentric rod with two eyes and a peace of treaded rod in-between.
Needles to say the altering of the eccentric rod has influence on the
setting of the return crank and off course the valves. So take your time.

Sorry to say I am running out of time so I have to save the rest is for
another message. But have in the mean time a look at my web page. ( Must
admit in need of update )
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried