[modeleng] Re: Track protection

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:25:44 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, AC Messer wrote:
> "H & S gone mad"  You said it!!  What would have happened to the
> Industrial Revolution if they had had to fool with all the red tape and
> regulations that we have to put up with?   Al Messer

Usually I'd be in there singing along with you - for example it takes so
much H & S paperwork to be allowed to do tests with a household washing
machine or a car, things that my mother uses every day, and appart from
when she turned a load of washing pink, it all turns out fine.

But in this case: if I still want coal tar creasote, I can buy it. If I
still want coal tar treated sleepers I can still buy them (sounds like
your donor company Cliff were being a bit OTT). It's just in this case, it
seems that one can easily proove the case that coal tar creasote (I think
as oposed to wood tar create or medicinal creasote) causes skin cancer, if
what I've read is to be believed, and technically you too could snare a
rat, paint a patch of it's skin with coal tar creasote and after a few
weeks watch the abnormalities develop etc.

What I'm saying is, because of the scare, it's claimed there are
alternatives out there which do the job, but don't carry the same cancer
risk.

So in this case, I'm not sure it is H&S gone mad, it just seems to be a
free choice of whether I'd like to dorb carcinogenic chemicals near my
family or non-carcinogenic chemical.

Does that seem like a fair enough summary, or am I being too 'generous'?

All the best,

Rich.