[modeleng] Track protection

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:32:28 +0100 (BST)

Hi there All,

I'm struggling to find something to protect the wooden longitudinals and
sleepers of the few feet of test track of have managed to assemble, and
wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

Whilst I know that the if I mention the banning of 'proper' coal tar
creasote for all the normal houshold situations, there will be some who
will say "I've used it for years", the fact that there will be children
and animals in the vicinity of the track, combined with the evidence
(which could be read as 'we painted some rats with it and it only took a
few weeks before they developed skin cancer'), and the fact that there are
meant to be safer alternatives out there made me want to at least to see
what I could find.

Noting that I used to be a member of the traditional creasote mixed with
old engine oil brigade, I was quite pleased when I first built the
structure and coated it with dark Creacote, it looked and smelled right.

However, having added a few new bits of wood and tried recoating, the new
wood is taking it well, but the old wood that I treated a year or so ago,
well 24 hours after coating it, it looks old and washed out again, as if
we'd forgotten to recoat it.

Any thoughts on what I should be trying instead?

I didn't want to use one of these wax paints that are aimed at fences, as
to my mind it doesn't look right (though I'm happy with it on fences) and
also it won't wipe off the rails like the Creacote did and creasote would.

I'm not against, but hesitant about using something which is a 'stain' as
(a) that won't really preserve the wood, and (b) if you spray, then I've
noted that some stains suggest ingestion/inhalation can cause permanent
lung damage...don't mind painting it on, but spraying would be faster
given the fiddlyness of the sleepers and all the nooks and crannies.

Any advice or views greatfully received.

All the best,

Rich.