[modeleng] Re: Soluable oil

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:30:51 +0900

G'Day Alan,

I have used the "sulphated neat cutting oils" for years. Once you use them,
you will realise why soluable oils are so good. The mess they make is the
first problem, just from chuck fling on the lathe and cutter fling on the
mill. Then there's the clean up of yourself and the item that you are
machining. You need to let the item drain before trying to wipe off the
excess oil that's all over it. Make sure you have plenty of rags handy. Then
touch your machine again, and your hands have to be wiped down again....
<LAUGH> I have probebly painted a worse picture than it really is, but not
by much. Clean-up of the oil is always a hassell, which is why I was wanting
to go back to soluable oil.

For those of you who are contemplating changing to neat cutting oil, make
sure that you get the lightest cutting oil you can get. There are oils
designed for turning, drilling, and milling. But there are many more that
are not! The heavy duty oils are not for high speed work, and
consequentially will cause even more mess to go with poor surface finishes
etc. The previous owner of my mill supplied me with 10L of cutting oil for
the mill. I thought this was great, until I read the lable on the drum when
I got it all home. It is a heavey duty cutting oil, suitable for broatching,
gear cutting and deep hole boring (Caltex Trucut 524). This stuff is NOT
suitable for general milling. I use Castrol 154, which is a light cutting
oil suitable for turning, milling, and drilling operations.

Once I get a few more minutes free time, I'll get back to finishing my
responce to the different types of "O"ring seal design. Hopefully that will
be this morning some time.

Cheers,

Phill.