[modeleng] Re: RE Magnetic Chucks.

  • From: Donkitson1@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:04:01 EST

In a message dated 22/02/2006 21:44:30 , cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
Dumb  question 1 -- Is it actually Electromagnetic and, if so, did you get
the power  source (controller) and try it with that?  [Actually several
questions  here...]
Dumb question 2 -- If it is not electromagnetic, did you turn the  knob which
is supposed to activate and deactivate it?

Observation 1 -- If it is not electromagnetic and you disassemble it  without
a proper "keeper" between the poles, the magnets will lose much of  their
strength, just like the old two-pole motors for HO/OO  trains.

Charles

From: Donkitson1@xxxxxxx

> Hi Guy's,
> I have recently  obtained a small surface grinder, and along with it came
> a Magnetic  Chuck. However it would appear that it has lost it's magnetism,
>  label on the chuck says this chuck will not lose its magnetism unless it
is
> disassembled, please return to manufacturers for maintenance.
> Question, has any one on the list any experience on this sort of  thing and
> if so what should I look out for if I strip it to try and  sort it so that
it is
> usable again.?.
> It is very heavy, I  would estimate about 50lbs or more.
> Any help appreciated.
>  Don in freezing East Lancashire.

MODEL ENGINEERING DISCUSSION  LIST.

Hi Charles No it is not the electromagnetic type it is similar to the
eclipse type of magnetic chuck. I did push the lever over several times to no
avail. tommorow when I am in the workshop I will check to make absolutely sure
it
is going all the way and not being obstructed by anything.
Don