[modeleng] Re: RE Magnetic Chucks.

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:55:13 -0800

Charles said:
>Observation 1 -- If it is not electromagnetic and you disassemble it
without a proper "keeper" between the poles, the magnets will lose much of
their strength, just like the old two-pole motors for HO/OO trains.<

What is the mechanism that  keeper provides? On the face of it, why should
an increase in reluctance lead to the domains re-arranging? It's one of
those things that I know happens, but don't understand why!

Peter Chadwick (out of the country again - no wonder I can never get in
the workshop!)