[modeleng] Re: O/T Christmas greetings

  • From: JEM HARRISON <jemharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:54:11 +0000 (GMT)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all modeleng@freelists.

Dennis,

Good to know that someone else has a battered D-W !

I bought a Vertex (which I gather is a Clark type), probably from Chronos.  It
comes in a nice box, with three collets and a wopping great spanner.....but no
instructions.  At least a flat-pack from IKEA comes complete with
pictograms...a vast improvement on the martian tomes that accompany electronic
gadgetry.  Would-be model engineers are assumed to know how to fit/strip/use
tools and attachments safely and successfully.  Oh, yes?!

The Vertex chuck is, I think, well made, and I would recommend it.  My only
reservation would be that I wonder if other designs of milling chuck might be
more suitable for the D-W.
My current project, heading for the scrap-bin, is a pair of cylinders for the
Paul Forsyth 'Jersey Lilly' design in Gauge 1.  I purchase two slot drills
(one-sixteenth and one-eighth)from Chronos to mill the steam ports, but I found
that they are not long enough to engage with the nipple in the chuck, and if
they were, I would never get the darned things out!  Chronos have kindly
agreed to exchange the slot-drills for the long series, but I am still waiting
for them to arrive.

I suspect that there are other milling chucks more suitable for small machines,
but I have no experience of them.  I did wonder about trying the ER25 collet
chuck, but a problem I find with this on my lathe is that if I remove a work
piece from it and re-insert it, it does not run true, so I have to undo the
chuck and rotate the workpiece several times before it is as near as dammit.

Nothing is straight-forward in this game!

Best wishes,

Jem Harrison
Basildon UK