[modeleng] Re: New wiring regs

  • From: NIGELBALL@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:28:41 EST

Hi All
Just to clarify there has been two changes to the Regs,
1 The colours for electrical installation were changed in april 2004 and  for
a period of 3 years you can use either, with certain rules, new installation
should use the new colours, Alterations can use either, but you need to put a
 sticker stating that the installation has been modified and uses combination
of  new and old.
2. The regs have added a new part called part P (Jan 2005) This  effectively
means that DIYers are prevented from doing anything but minor works,  changing
a switch and socket etc.
It also means the regs are subject to building regs now, so if your new
workshop has got or will need planning permission then you cannot do the wiring

as it will need testing and all results will need to be passed to the planning
officer as part of the signing off for the new works.
The system has also been set up that the person doing the wiring and  testing
has to be a "competent person" and all test equipment must be  in
calibration, you cannot do the work and then get someone to sign it  off.

Just to add I am an electrical engineer who designs Industrial control
systems, tests the instalation and signs all the forms, but according to my
local
planning officer I am not a "Competant Person" and that's with City and
guilds for the regs and the Inspection and test certificate, So if its an
Industrial installation I can do it, but I can't add a new ring main to my  own
garage
!!!!!!.
Regards
Nigel Ball

rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi there  Doug,

I would point out that the UK wiring colours have changed so that  hard
wiring is now brown, blue not red and black - in this way, a track can  be
kept of what wiring was done after the 1st of Jan 2005.

If a  person was to manage to get hold of some wire in the pre Jan 2005
colours,  then no-one would know that the wiring wasn't done before the Jan
2005  cutoff date! Time for obtaining this wire is probably running  out
rapidly.

Also, I don't know how hard/fast/where the dividing  line is between
temporary and permanent wiring - so if you aren't intending  to leave your
workshop equipment behind when you move out, the do you  really need to
leave the wiring, and if you aren't trying to sell the  wiring, then it can
be temporary - does this allow any kind of  exclusions?

The only other problem is that your electricity supplier  has the right to
inspect your wiring/check any ceritificates if you wish to  still keep
receiving electricity, but I don't know of anyone who has ever  been
inspected in this way (but it is in the small  print).

Yours,

Rich.