[modeleng] Re: LBSC D3 class

  • From: Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:34:11 -0800

Alan Stepney wrote:

> I am still seeking information on this class of locomotives.
> Designed by Billington and built from 1892, the last ones ran up to BR days,
> finally being numbered 32388 etc. and the last being scrapped in 1953.

My expertise on the Southern begins and ends with the Schools Class.
I'm building one of those in 1 1/2" scale.

Brian Stephenson seems to have books published on the Southern Railway
and, if you haven't seen them, go to Motorbooks and search on Southern
Railways.  http://www.motorbooks.co.uk/index.asp

Locomotives built at Eastleigh, Brighton, and Ashford are given in 4
volumes.  I've no idea if the D3 was built in either of these shops.
If you find out which shop the LBSC D-3 was built in, a history of
that shop might have something.

Also,  http://www.semgonline.com/steam/d3-d3x_01.html  which I'm sure
you have seen.

JerryK