[modeleng] Re: Drawings rqd

  • From: "Tim Of The Above" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:27:39 +0000

Well there is this: http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/CDSextantProject.htm which
while great fun and my kind of thing might not be quite what you had in
mind.

I have found the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich to be most helpful
when I've sensible questions (rare I know) about martime issues. I'd have
thought they might be worth a go. Fascinating as the museum is I'd think
you'd be better raising your point by email than just turning up one Sunday
afternoon hoping to get loads of detailed info.

The Science Museum in South Ken with whom I've had no dealings of this kind
or the Museum of Science and Technology in Manchester might also be worth a
go. I dealt with them many years ago offering some aviation artefacts which
they didn't want but were prompt and civil in saying so. 'Course if you are
DC or Munich you might find some more local sources of info.

Which reminds me if you or anyone wants a WW11 era RAF sextant as flown in
Lancasters and the like I've got one I'd like to be rid of at a more than
fair price. It includes some technical (patent) information about how the
averaging system ,which allowed a not very experienced observer to make
multiple sights over a couple of minutes and then gallop back to his desk
and get an average elevation, works. I'm sorry but I've no WW11 history for
it and I've been too lazy to take a sight with it (or any sextant for many
years) so I don't know how accurate it is. Probably good enough to bomb
Berlin from 18 000 feet tho' if the muse takes you.