[modeleng] Re: Diamond Core Drills

  • From: "Clifton Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 19:51:24 +0100

Hi All,

The Diamond Core drill worked a treat although I wish I had bought more
drills.
I only bought one and after the initial bit of fast cutting it became a slow
slog as the drill seemed to wear its way through the metal rather than cut
it. I used an electric drill which I kept at a fairly low speed and used
water with a touch of washing up liquid to lubricate the drill.

The ironic bit of the story is, after slowly wearing my way down through the
bolt head, when I reckoned that I was almost down to the washer under the
bolt head I gave it a tap on the outside with a screw driver and hammer.
Although the remains of the head were only hanging on by a thin bit of metal
the whole bolt spun free and I took it out using finger power only.

This raises another interesting point.

I remember years ago the theory that with the right sort of vibration the
tightest nut or bolt will loosen off.
Bearing in mind how tight this bolt was, using the diamond core drill did I
just happen to hit on the right combination of frequency to make the bolt
loosen off?

I think that this technique could be used to remove broken taps or drills.
Mind you the resulting hole will be far larger than the original intended
hole but thats better than scrapping a valuable bit of machinery

Regards

Clif