[modeleng] Re: Diamond Core Drills

  • From: "Jeff D" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 22:29:28 +0000

Hi Clif,

I have used dimond core drills on steel. If you keep the speed down they
work OK. If the speed gets too fast they start flailing around chewing up
everything in their path.

If you get no joy with them, you might try a tooling supplier and ask them
for a hard steel drill or a solid carbide drill. If you can get a left hand
helix one and turn it CCW (on stuck RH threaded fasteners) it will drill
just like a regular twist drill in medium to hard steel. The left hand helix
often helps release the stuck fasteners rather than driving them further in
as the drill bites.

I have to say too that I have had more trouble with stuck, broken, rust
plugged and corroded Torx fasteners on cars than any other type. Give me hex
head or hex socket head any day.

Good luck, Jeff Dayman