[modeleng] Re: Cleaning Chucks

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:28:35 -0500

  There is clearly some wear on the outer portions of the jaws as they will
> not grip small (less that 8mm Dia) parts properly. I have heard that there
is
> a way to regrind this using grinding past and a mandrel held between
centres.
> Can anybody give me a detailed explanation of how this is done.
> 3/  The chuck has lost its second set of (outer) jaws. What are the
chances
> of getting a replacement set on the 2nd hand market?. I realise that the
self
> centering  aspect may not be accurate but I would not use it for that as I
have
> an old 4 jaw    that I can us instead.
> Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
> Regards Ken Jones in sunny Berkshire.

Ken If I were you, I would forget about trying to locate those missing jaws
and just go with what you have.  As to grinding chuck jaws, I do it maybe
once a year for the same reasons you are having trouble. I will photograph
the setup I use on my Atlas lathe using a Craftsman heavy duty hand grinder.
Think Dremel® tool on steroids, lots of steroids in fact, but you can use an
el cheapo air die grinder just as well, maybe even a Dremel tool if you go
slowly.(Maybe a whole case of steroids!)

Jesse Livingston in warm humid West Tennessee