[modeleng] Re: Cleaning Chucks

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Model Engineering List" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:20:48 +0100

> 2/  There is clearly some wear on the outer portions of the jaws as they
> will
> not grip small (less that 8mm Dia) parts properly. I have heard that there
> is
> a way to regrind this using grinding past and a mandrel held between
> centres.
> Can anybody give me a detailed explanation of how this is done.

Hello Ken,

The trick is to take a piece of silver steel slightly smaller than the
diameter of the hole in your chuck. Turn a taper on one end to match the
taper in your tailstock. Now fit the silver steel bar into the tailstock
with the taper and lightly coat the parrallel section with grinding paste.
Open the chuck jaws and adjust the tailstock until the pasted bar is in the
chuck. Now lightly grip the bar with the chuck jaws and start the lathe on a
slow speed. Keep the bar moving to and fro with the tailstock hand wheel.
It takes a little time but, in my experience, the results are surprisingly
good.

Barrie Purslow
Warrington UK