[modeleng] Brass dome cover for Tinkerbell

  • From: Peter Beevers <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 07:52:44 +0000

 I am seriously considering making a brass dome cover for a 7.25" gauge
tinkerbell that I help maintain. The cover is 10" diameter, 12" high, boiler
is 14" diameter, and it has a 4" hole in the top for the safety valves to
exit through.
Now, I have never done any sheet brasswork, so experienced help/advice is
most welcome.
In my simple mind, I can see two ways of achieving this:
1) Make a 10" diameter cylinder (silver soldered seam), then spin a
hemisphere for the top and silver solder it on, or
2) Make a longer cylinder, then spin the end inwards (no need to join up due
to the safety valve exit hole)
Either of these, however, involve the black art of brass spinning, over a
very large former, also silver soldering thin brass (with the attendant
warping problems ???). I also have no idea how to swage the open end out
overthe boiler.

Does anyone:
1) Have a better way of achieving this ?, or
2) Have any hints as to how I could make this job easier ??

Any help, advice etc. greatfully received,

Peter